When the cookie craving comes, the easiest thing to do is making a big batch of vegan peanut butter cookies. They’re easy to make, super delicious and filling. And this recipe is a lot healthier that the classical one (that involves tons of refined sugar and butter!). So it’s a win-win situation – your cookie cravings will be satisfied with no harm done to your health.
This recipe requires only 4 main ingredients and the rest of them are spices. To make these cookies more wholesome, I used whole spelt flour instead of white flour. And I replaced sugar with maple syrup which contains a lot more nutrients like zinc, manganese, and iron.
And the fun part is that you can easily adjust this recipe. Feel free to add spices that you like, for example, nutmeg, cloves or ginger. And if you want to take this recipe to the next level, you can add some vegan chocolate chips as well.
I love to have a big bite of these peanut butter cookies with a cup of black coffee or hot almond milk. They’re crunchy on the outside but soft on the inside. Ah, just perfect.
To make 20 vegan peanut butter cookies, you’ll need:
- 1 cup whole spelt flour (or oat flour or whole wheat flour )
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanut butter (store bought or follow this process to make your own)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup plant milk (or water)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of Himalayan salt
- Start by mixing the dry ingredients – whole spelt flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients – peanut butter, maple syrup, plant milk and vanilla extract. Then mix the dry and wet ingredients together. The dough should be easily formable. If it’s too liquid, add more flour. If it’s too hard, add a bit more plant milk.
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Form cookie balls (about 1 tbsp of dough per cookie) and place them on a baking paper. Flatten with a fork one way and then the other to create a pattern.
- Put cookies in the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Keep an eye on them as they can burn quickly! The edges should be light brown.
- Remove cookies from the oven and let them cool.
- Enjoy! Store in an airtight container to keep the cookies soft.