Why should you always have a jar filled with granola in the kitchen? Because it doesn’t only make a delicious and crunchy breakfast, but also serve as a perfect snack in the moments, when a craving comes. So today I’m bringing you a very tasty and wholesome vegan banana & cherry granola recipe.
Granola is one of those dishes, that you can make in a bulk beforehand and then enjoy delicious & quick-to-make breakfast for at least a couple of days straight. All it takes is a bowl, a splash of plant milk and your breakfast is served!
I know, the ingredient list for the recipe might seem a bit long but stay with me here. Although I love mixing different nuts and seeds in my granola, you can easily replace them with your favorites or the ones that are accessible to you. Also, if you don’t have any of the spices, you can easily skip them.
The mashed banana gives the granola a creative twist and amazing flavor! I got the idea from Minimalist Baker and totally fell in love with it. To take it even further, I stirred in some dried cherries at the end of the baking. Delicious!
And, yes, as I’m a little health nut, I made this recipe totally wholesome and good for you. Every single ingredient in this banana & cherry granola nourishes your body and keeps you energized.
Lastly, I have a special note. This was the first time when I had another photographer with me to capture the cooking process! Elizabeth is a young, ambitious and very talented artist who captured all the beautiful photos for the recipe. You can follow her on Instagram where she shares stunning photos and inspiring stories. It was such a pleasure to work with Elizabeth and I hope to see her more on The Thriving Vegan soon. 🙂
But now, let’s get to the recipe!
Banana & Cherry Granola
Makes a big jar / approx. 8 servings
- 2 cups oats (choose gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/4 cup whole almonds
- 1/4 cup whole walnuts
- 1/4 cup whole cashews*
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup dried cherries (sugar-free, if possible)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (or agave)
- 1 mashed banana
- 2 tbsp. melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. cacao nibs (optional)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp powdered ginger
- a pinch of ground cloves (optional)
- a pinch of salt (preferably Himalayan or sea salt)
* You can use any of your favorite nuts for the recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F). Using a big knife, roughly chop the almonds, walnuts, and cashews.
- In a big bowl, combine oats, the chopped nuts, pumpkin seeds, cacao nibs, and spices. Mix well.
- In a small separate bowl, combine maple syrup and coconut oil. Mix into the dry ingredients.
- Finally, add the mashed banana and mix well until all the dried ingredients are well-covered and moist.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Evenly spread the mixture on the baking sheet. Bake the granola for 20 minutes until golden, stirring halfway to get in evenly baked.
- While the granola is still hot, mix in the dried cherries. Let granola cool completely to crisp up.
- Transfer the granola to a glass jar or plastic container. Store at a room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
- Serve it with your favorite plant-based milk, coconut or soy yogurt, banana, goji berries, crushed peanuts, maple syrup or anything else that you like!