This is not the usual green smoothie. It’s a special one. It combines fruit, wild greens, edible flower blossoms, nuts and even some deeply cleansing & nourishing algae that altogether will give you a big boost of vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals. But at the same time, it’s very delicious (yep, kids approved!).
Spring and early summer is the perfect time for green smoothies. If you own even a little garden, I can bet that it’s full of wild edible plants & flowers – some of which you might consider unwanted weeds. But be aware – these weeds might be one of the healthiest & most nutrient-dense foods available to you!
One of the wild plants that grow all over my family’s garden is the ground elder. When its leaves are young, bright green and soft, it’s the perfect time to blend it up in a green smoothie! Ground elder is rich in vitamin C & A, iron, and potassium. Use it in the smoothie just after you harvest it to maintain almost all the nutrients.
And did you know that your backyard holds many edible flowers? There are the common ones like dandelion blossoms or lilacs, but just recently I discovered that also daisy is edible. As it grows all across my backyard I was very happy to add a small handful into my smoothie.
Although this smoothie includes dandelions and daisies, feel free to use any other edible flower blossoms that grow around your area. Just do a little taste-check to make sure how intense the flavor is. 🙂
But now – on to the recipe!
Deeply Nourishing Green Smoothie With Wild Blossoms
Makes 2 – 3 servings
- 2 bananas
- 1 orange, peeled
- 50 g spinach (I used frozen)
- 8 – 10 almonds (or other nuts)
- a small handful of dandelion and daisy blossoms
- a small handful of young ground elder leaves (stems removed)
- 1 tsp spirulina powder (you can add any other green superfood powder like wheat grass or chlorella)
- water to thin (or plant milk)
- Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Add water as much as necessary to get the consistency that you like. And enjoy the pure energy of greens. 🙂
P.S. If you love smoothie, make sure you also check out this deliciousness. 🙂