Fresh, nourishing & crunchy – this late summer lentil salad is a healthy and easy dish that fills you up more than just a regular salad. Lentils, which are high in plant protein, are satisfying and nutritious. But the late August zucchinis, corn, greens, herbs, capers and lingonberries all create a tasty combo and add crispiness. The tangy dressing gives this salad the final flavor bomb. Yum!
There’s something very beautiful about the late summer time. Days are getting shorter & evenings darker. Garden starts to turn into the orange hues. Pumpkins are growing big and neighbors are sharing their last harvest of deeply red & sweet tomatoes and crispy cucumbers.
We grow some pumpkins & zucchinis in my little family’s garden, as well as some kale, parsley, and celery. For this lentil salad recipe, I wanted to use most of what my garden offers but feel free use whatever crispy veggies you have – carrots, paprika, cucumbers or any other that you like.
Beluga lentils add a nourishing richness to the salad and are an excellent source of manganese and fiber as well as a good source of iron and protein. But that’s not it…Did you know that the people who live the longest, consume legumes on their daily basis? Yes, you can call lentils a real (and cheap!) longevity food.
Enough talking. Let’s get to the recipe! 🙂
Summer Lentil Salad With Crunchy Veggies & Herbs
Serves 4 to 6
For the salad:
- 1 cup beluga lentils, rinsed (uncooked)*
- 1 white (or green) zucchini (about 250 grams)
- about 1 cup of chopped kale
- 1 cup canned corn
- about 1/2 cup of finely chopped parsley
- about 1/4 cup of finely chopped celery leaves
- a handful of chopped spring onions
- 3 tbsp. chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 tbsp. capers
- 3 tbsp. dried lingonberries (or 1/4 cup dried cranberries)
- avocado (for topping, optional)
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp maple syrup (or agave)
- 1 heaping tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 clove, ground
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
* Don’t use canned lentils for this recipe as they’ll be too mushy and the salad will be destroyed!
- Place the lentils into a pot and cover with 2 cups of water. Bring to boil and cook for 15 to 20 minutes until tender. Don’t overcook them! Lentils still should have a slight crisp. When the lentils are done, rinse them with cold water to cool and stir in 1/2 tsp salt. Let them sit while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Prepare the dressing – place all the ingredients in a small bowl and stir well. Taste test and adjust it to your liking.
- Chop the zucchini in small, bite-size pieces and add to a big bowl. Add the rest of the salad ingredients and cooked lentils. Mix well. Add the dressing and give salad the final stir.
- Serve with thinly sliced avocado on the side.
Recipe inspired by Sarah and her beautiful creation on My New Roots.