Purple cabbage is one of those mysterious vegetables. There aren’t a lot of creative ways how to cook it. But as this vegetable offers massive health benefits, I decided to find an easy way how you could cook it in a fast and creative way. So I did. In this recipe, you’ll learn how to make delicious purple cabbage steaks with a creamy peanut butter sauce.
Indeed, cabbage is a miraculous veggie. Its purple color makes it very high in antioxidants. By the way, the more intense color the fruit or vegetable has, the higher is its antioxidant content. So if you have a choice between green and purple cabbage – pick the purple!
Purple cabbage is high in vitamin K which increases the amount of a particular protein required to maintain bone calcium. It’s also an excellent source of vitamin C which is a very effective antioxidant and protects your cells from the DNA damage.
Red cabbage also is a good source of vitamin A which protects your eyesight. And as red cabbage belongs to the cruciferous family (like broccoli, Brussel sprouts, and turnip) it has strong cancer-fighting properties.
With all these benefits in mind, let’s make some purple cabbage steaks!
To make 7 purple cabbage steaks, you’ll need:
- 1 medium size purple cabbage
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Himalaya or sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
For peanut butter sauce you’ll need:
- 2 tbsp of salted peanut butter (or add extra salt if it’s plain)
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce (I used Kikkoman less salt soy sauce)
- 3 tbsp of water
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or brown sugar or coconut sugar)
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Slice the cabbage steaks ½ inch thick and lay on a baking paper covered pan. Sprinkle with some olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Bake the steaks for 20 – 25 minutes until the outside layer gets few brown spots (be careful not to burn them!).
- In the meantime, make the sauce. Put all ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth. Adjust the taste if needed.
- Serve the cabbage steak sprinkled with the peanut butter sauce.