Let’s face it. Getting through the cold season can be tough. There’s not much sun, it gets freaking cold and sometimes you catch yourself sleeping with three extra blankets. During this time, you might feel more sleepy than usual and your energy level is usually lower. To keep your body healthy during winter, it’s important to fuel it with the right foods. Today I’d like to share a simple vegan recipe, which is just in time for the cold season – roasted root vegetables topped with a creamy tahini garlic sauce.
This recipe is warming, comforting and absolutely healthy. All you have to do is mix together three different root vegetables, roast them and prepare the delicious tahini dressing in the meantime. It’s perfect for lunch or dinner.
Right now it’s the season of root and we all should embrace them. As root vegetables grow underground, they absorb lots of nutrients from the soil. Also, they’re high in antioxidants, vitamins C, B, A, and iron. All of this makes it a great food for the cold season.
Root vegetables are filled with slow-burning carbohydrates and fiber, which make you feel full for longer and help to regulate your blood sugar levels and digestive system.
All in all, roots are awesome. In this dish, I combined carrots, sweet potato, and beetroots. For extra flavor, I added onions and some fresh rosemary. When topped with the tahini garlic sauce, this combination becomes extra satisfying and flavorful.
To make 4 servings of roasted root veggies, you’ll need:
- 4 middle sized carrots
- 3 middle sized raw beetroots
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 big or (3 small) onion
- 1 stalk fresh rosemary (dried will do as well)
- 1 tsp of Himalaya or sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (optional)
To make 1/2 cup of tahini garlic sauce, you’ll need:
- 4 heaping tbsp of tahini
- 8 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (you can add more if you prefer)
- 1/2 – 1 tsp garlic powder (or 1 – 2 fresh cloves of garlic)
- 1/2 tsp Himalaya or sea salt (adjust to your preference)
- black pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C (350F). Peel the vegetables and cut into bite size pieces (go smaller with the beetroots as they cook longer). Chop the onion into big chunks (about 1/4 of the onion if using smaller onions).
- Place all veggies in a heatproof ceramic or glass baking dish. Add fresh rosemary, olive oil, salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar. Combine well. Place in the oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until vegetables are soft (as each oven is different, check your veggies before you take them out. If they’re still hard, bake them a bit more.)
- In the meantime, make the tahini sauce. Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until creamy and smooth. Adjust the spices to taste.
- Serve the warm root vegetables drizzled with the desired amount of tahini dressing.