There are those days when you don’t have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen. All you want to do is to cook something quick, healthy and delicious without too much effort. Today I’m sharing a perfect vegan recipe for occasions like these – soba noodles with roasted mini asparagus. You can cook this dish in 30 minutes with no hassle.
If you’re not familiar with soba noodles, let me give you a simple introduction. Soba noodles are Japanese noodles that are made from buckwheat flour. Their texture is quite similar to spaghetti, but the taste has a nice nutty flavor.
Nutritionally soba noodles offer far more benefits than traditional pasta. These noodles are gluten free and are loaded with manganese, fiber, and iron. Soba noodles can be served both hot and cold which makes them a great addition to stir-fries and salads.
The biggest superfood in this recipe is mini asparagus. If you’re fan of different WOKs or stir-fries, mini asparagus is a great addition to dishes like these. As they’re not fully grown, they’re soft and full of flavor. However, if you can’t find mini asparagus in your local store, you can also use the regular one. Be aware that cooking time for regular asparagus will be a bit longer.
Asparagus is a very nutrient-dense vegetable that has been used both as a food and medicine. It’s loaded with vitamins like A, C, E and K. Asparagus is a real brain function booster. It’s also high in antioxidants, which helps to fight the free radicals and cancer. Asparagus is especially beneficial for women during pregnancy.
To make 2 servings of soba noodles with roasted mini asparagus, you’ll need:
- 150g soba noodles (you can also use rice noodles)
- 200g mini asparagus
- 2 big carrots
- 50g cashews (or sesame seeds)
- 100g bean sprouts (optional)
- olive oil for cooking
- a healthy pinch of salt and pepper
- Start by lightly roasting the cashews. Roast them either on a pan (middle heat) or in the oven (180 degrees). In both ways, it should take about 10 minutes, but keep an eye on them as they can easily burn!
- Chop the onion, heat a pan and sprinkle it with some olive oil. Cook the onion for about 3 minutes until transparent.
- Cut the carrot into thin slices. Add to the pan along with asparagus and bean sprouts. Season with some salt and pepper. Cook everything for about 10 to 15 minutes until carrots are soft.
- In the meantime, cook the buckwheat noodles in a separate pot by following the directions on the package.
- When everything is ready, place some noodles in a bowl, top with the vegetables and sprinkle with some roasted cashews.