These vegan double chocolate chip cookies could be your perfect weekend’s snack or a party saver. They’re crisp, very chocolatey, wholesome and a real crowd pleaser! Plus, these cookies are quick to bake and require only 10 ingredients.
To be honest with you, I’m not the biggest cookie eater. Why? Because conventional cookies are usually loaded with a lot of bad stuff – saturated fat, white sugar and refined flour. But on the other side – if you make them right, cookies could serve as both a wholesome snack and a delicious treat.
So I set a goal to make a healthier and vegan version of the famous double chocolate chip cookies. After several batches and tests, I finally got what I was looking for – perfectly crisp and chocolate-rich vegan cookies baked from whole spelt flour, coconut sugar, dark chocolate and other wholesome ingredients.
For many ingredients, I’ve noted down the alternatives you can use, so don’t feel discouraged if you don’t have some of the original ingredients on hand. Also, feel free to experiment with the size of your cookies – I made smaller versions but you can easily make them twice as big.
And to debunk a typical stereotype – did you know that cacao powder is a truly powerful superfood? While milk chocolate is loaded with refined sugar and fat, pure cacao powder is rich in minerals like iron, magnesium, calcium and gives your nutrition intake a good boost.
So, yes – you’re in for a real treat. 🙂 Let’s get to the recipe!
Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes about 24 cookies
- 1/2 cup whole spelt flour (or whole wheat flour)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 flax egg*
- 3 tbsp. cacao powder
- 3 tbsp. olive oil (or coconut oil)
- 30 g (1/3 of 100 g chocolate bar) vegan dark chocolate, chopped (with at least 70% cacao content)
- 1/2 tsp soda
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla powder (optional)
- a pinch of Himalayan pink salt
* To make a flax egg, mix 1 tbsp. ground flaxseeds with 3 tbsp. plant milk and leave the mixture to gel up for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F) and prepare a baking sheet lined with a baking paper. In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients – spelt flour, coconut sugar, cacao powder, soda, vanilla powder, and salt.
- Add olive oil and flax egg – combine well. Lastly, mix in the chopped dark chocolate. The cookie dough should be shiny and easily formable (not liquid). If it feels too dry, add a splash of plant milk or water.
- Scoop a heaping tsp of cookie dough ball and place on the baking sheet. The cookies will become about 2x bigger in size while baking so leave enough space between the dough balls.
- Place the cookies in the oven and bake for 13 minutes. Keep an eye on the edges as they can burn!
- When cookies are done, let them cool in the room temperature and enjoy with warm tea, matcha or coffee. 🙂
P.S. For more vegan chocolate goodness, check out this amazing recipe! <3