Sweet potato is the thing. Almost everyone loves it! But what you may not know about the sweet potato is that it makes the most delicious (and wholesome) pasta sauce. Yes, pasta sauce from a potato! So here we go with today’s recipe – vegan pasta in a creamy sweet potato sauce.
Although I’m quite a big pasta lover myself, my boyfriend is one of the biggest pasta fans I’ve ever met. That’s why I always have a few bags of pasta in my pantry. As pasta is not the best health food, I always try to opt for a whole-grain version which nowadays you can find in almost any grocery store and in all health food stores.
How big is the difference between whole-grain and regular pasta? Whole-grain pasta is lower in calories, fat and higher in fiber than regular pasta. You’ll also get more minerals from whole-grain pasta, which makes it a healthier choice. If you’ve never tried the whole-grain pasta, you might have to get used to the texture and taste as it’s slightly different.
And when it comes to the sweet potato sauce – it’s one creamy delight! Coconut milk and the sweet potato together make a rich, satisfying but at the same time healthy pasta sauce. Lemon and ginger add a fresh and spicy touch. As my boyfriend said, this flavor combination reminds of a slightly mango-ish/tropical taste. So delicious!
And speaking of more wholesome stuff – sweet potato is considered as one of the healthiest foods on the planet. It’s super high in vitamin A which is essential for good vision and healthy skin. Sweet potato is also packed with antioxidants that straighten your immunity.
But now, let’s head to the recipe for this creamy goodness! 🙂
Vegan Pasta With Easy & Creamy Sweet Potato Sauce
Makes 2-3 servings
- 1 medium-size sweet potato, peeled (about 450g)
- 1 onion
- 3 big cloves of garlic
- 200 ml (1/2 can) of full-fat coconut milk
- a knob of fresh ginger (10g – 15g, depending on how spicy you like)
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- a big pinch of black pepper
- 1 tbsp. olive oil for cooking
- 200g whole grain penne pasta (or any other pasta; gluten-free if necessary)
- for toppings: a few sprigs of fresh thyme, chopped spring onions, crushed peanuts and a pinch of lemon zest (or use your favorite pasta toppings)
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat and add the olive oil. Chop the onion, garlic, and ginger and add to the saucepan. Sautee for 3 to 5 minutes until fragrant and onions are translucent. Add 1/2 cup of water.
- Cube the sweet potato and add to the saucepan along with 1/2 tsp of salt and a pinch of pepper. Put the lid on and let it cook for 15 to 20 minutes until the sweet potato is very soft.
- When the sweet potato is cooked, add coconut milk and lemon juice. Blend with a hand blender or transfer to a food processor/blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Adjust the consistency by adding more water or coconut milk if necessary. Taste test and add more salt or pepper if you feel like it.
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package.
- Stir the cooked pasta into the sweet potato sauce until all the pasta is well covered. Serve topped with fresh thyme leaves, chopped spring onions, crushed peanuts and a pinch of lemon zest.