Importing legumes in a vegan diet is crucial. Beans, peas, and lentils are all great sources of protein and fiber. Today’s recipe shows you a quick and easy way how to cook wax beans. The beans are roasted together with arugula and lemon juice to make them very flavorful and tangy. It’s an excellent dish for busy days and can be enjoyed alone or as a side dish.
This recipe requires only six ingredients. All you have to do is blanch the wax beans, mix them together with the spices and roast them in the oven. Arugula comes as the final step when the beans are done. They add a wonderful freshness and also nutrition punch to the recipe.
Also, yellow wax beans offer many health benefits. They’re loaded with iron and manganese which support your red blood cell function and metabolism. These beans are also a great source of vitamin C which helps to boost your immune system.
Moreover, in this recipe, I used both lemon juice and turmeric which are both nutritionally dense foods. They’re essential for the health of your immune system.
To make 2 servings of roasted wax beans, you’ll need:
- 500 g of yellow wax beans
- a handful of fresh arugula leaves
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- juice from one lemon
- black pepper and salt to taste
- splash of olive oil
- Pour water in a medium size pot, add some salt and bring to boil. Cook the beans for about 3 minutes until crisp-tender.
- Heat the oven to 180C. Mix the beans with lemon juice, turmeric, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Spread them on baking paper, sprinkle with some olive oil. You can save a bit of lemon to top on the beans. Place the beans in the oven and cook for about 15 – 20 minutes until golden crisp.
- While the beans are still hot, top them with fresh arugula leaves (they’ll become soft from the heat).